Thursday, April 9, 2015

Mutual Benefit Requires Mutual Consideration

Mary Fernandez is retiring in June. She has been my principal and mentor since 2004 and one the primary factors in my personal and professional development as a teacher leader. Mary has always been focused on creating the conditions for success. Understanding that students benefit from effective teachers, she has worked hard to put us in the best possible situation to be successful. We've been encouraged to take on leadership roles both on and off campus, take responsibility for our professional development and exercise autonomy in our classrooms. As teachers we hold each other accountable. Together we have built a collegial professional community.

I have known about her retirement for several years now but my anxiety is building as I await the announcement of her replacement later this month. The problem I have is within my district administrative hiring decisions are like a box of chocolates- you never know what you're going to get. Principals and Assistant Principals serve at the will of the school board. And while I respect the authority of the school board to make those administrative appointments, I am disappointed that these decisions are made without the input of the parents or teachers that principal is assigned to serve.

To me it's the next natural progression in education reform. If you want teachers and parents to be collaborative partners with schools then those groups should be able to have input on who becomes the instructional leader for the school. The teachers and parents at my school know the students and their needs. They know the community and its expectations. We also know what the kind of empowering administrator we want so we can continue to learn and grow as professionals.

Whoever the new principal is I will welcome them with open arms and an open mind. I will do the work required to support their transition and build relationships. I will be transparent with my work both inside and outside of the building. I just wish I had a say.

No comments:

Post a Comment