Sunday, April 19, 2015

Start With a Question



My attempt at #AprilBlogADay has become more of a #AprilBlogAWeek. However, I'm going to keep at it and try to finish strong. Fingers crossed.

As I'm sitting her processing the events of the last week and planning for my week ahead, I am struck by the reality that I have more questions than answers. That's not unusual, but at this point it is interfering with my ability to really focus my writing.

Going with my gut, I'm going to just put those questions out there and see what kind of discussions I can get started. Maybe I'll inspire someone else's writing?

  • If good teaching is good teaching, why does most professional development look like the "sit and get" that we're discouraged from using with students?
  • In that same vein, what would PD look like if we used the same teacher evaluation rubric to rate the presenters?
  • Why are we still paying teachers by the hour? (Is this just my school district?)
  • What if unions and school districts provided job training and placement services?
  • What if teachers were provided with PD on how to build professional learning networks in addition to traditional PD?
  • Why are we trying to teach 21st century learners using 20th century school day schedules and teacher assignments?
  • Why do certain politicians still perpetuate the myths of "failing schools", "bad teachers that can't be fired" and a "broken education system"? 
  • Why aren't teachers including in the hiring process for colleagues and administration? (Again, is the just my school district?)
  • Why does 5.5 hours of student contact time sometimes feel like 10 hours of Broadway stage time?
  • How is it possible that watching a student take a test for 80 minutes is more exhausting than teaching a student for 5.5 hours?
What are the questions that are plaguing you?

No comments:

Post a Comment